Festive Feasts: German Christmas Cookies
During the Christmas season Plätzchen, German butter cookies, were always a tradition to build up the anticipation for Christmas Eve. Cut out in some of the cutest holiday-themed shapes and decorated with a sugar glaze and sprinkles, they were just the perfect treat with a warm cup of hot chocolate or Kinderpunsch (recipe coming soon!). Not only are they delicious but also so easy to make.
“Butter Plätzchen” Recipe:
- 100 grams flour
- 50 grams sugar
- 50 grams butter
- 1 egg yolk
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C, or 355°F
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and butter into a dough
- While kneading the dough, mix in the egg yolk
- Form the dough into a giant ball and place in refrigerator for 30 min
- Roll out dough and use cookie cutters to cut out the shapes
- Place the cut out cookies onto a cookie sheet and bake for 15 min
- Take the cookies out of the oven and let cool
- Added Bonus: If you want to glaze your cookies simply mix 350 grams powdered sugar with 2 egg whites and 2 squeezes of a lemon.
What are some of your favorite recipes for the holidays? I would love to try out some new recipes.